Thursday, February 4, 2010

Collaborative Grid Drawings

A visitor to my website asked, "I was wondering if someone were to follow your grid drawing formulae (instructions) precisely, would they end up with the same design as you, or would another end-product be possible (or likely) because of how the formula is interpreted?" And that is a question I have encountered more than once, both in and out of my own mind.
So, I asked my friend and fellow artist Kelle Carli to work with me in my home studio to create tandem grid drawings. As I go through the process of making a Grid Drawing, Kelle goes through each step with me, on her own identical paper, choosing her own color scheme, and interpreting my intstructions as I dictate them. I am also carefully recording and making notes when potentially important questions or decisions arise. We work so that we cannot see each other's paper.
We are beginnning with a very simple composition, and will hopefully expand upon this work as the show in Columbus approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment