Friday, June 19, 2009

With All Color Points




All regular colored points have been mapped and recorded; one mistake was made, but dealt with. It is amazing how many little errors occur. Paint is a very malleable medium, and traditional painters have always had the option of painting over mistakes; when I began painting (of course with still-lives and portraits and the like), I felt that I had a particular freedom that sculptors and others did not- I could endlessly cover and manipulate my images. The more I paint, however, the less I feel that way; when working with minimalist ideals and now grid compositions, errors have to be addressed in completely new ways. My challenge has been to accept these inevitable errors and embrace them as a necessary element of creative production. In fact, the little mistakes have given life to grid drawings in a way that could not be possible with strict perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment